Round Up #1 -- Why I really, really, really want to go to Australia!

| |
Must. Go. To. Australia.



Now, I know this is a huge generalization, but the more Australian YA fiction I read, the more I'm convinced that this is the future of the "genre". I still have yet to find an Australian author that I don't absolutely fall in love with upon reading their books. And I've read a few of them in recent months (yes, my blog post back log goes back to January)...



And first, about these round-up posts, I realized that many of my readers were coming from google searches for specific titles, so I wanted them to leave my site with a few ideas for other titles they might like, and of course, all of the recommendations are novels that I have read.






48 Shades of Brown by Nick Earls



While his parents are living in Switzerland, Dan moves in with his mother's much younger sister, and spends his senior year of high school battling calculus and falling for his aunt's other roommate.



After Summer by Nick Earls

After graduating from high school, Alex spends the summer at the shore waiting for his college-entrance results and meets a beautiful girl on the beach.



Other blog reviews (of both of these titles):

Chasing Ray



Readers might also enjoy:

Looking for Alaska, It's Kind of a Funny Story






Secret Scribbled Notebooks by Joanne Horniman



In three journals, Kate describes her daily life, the birth of her niece, the books that she reads, and her first experiences of love,



Other blog reviews:

Bookshelves of doom, Writings of the Loud Librarian, I'll eat my words medium rare, thank you,



Readers might also enjoy:

Anne of Green Gables -- something about Kate's dreamy ramblings reminded me so much of Anne

This is All: The Pillow Book of Cornelia Kenn -- journals, teenage girls... but a bit, um, bigger?






The Wolf by Steven Herrick



In this novel of poems, Jack and Lucy go out into the woods in search of a legendary wolf, where an accident causes them to learn about themselves, and each other. (apparently, they don't have wolves in Australia?)



Other blog reviews

The Small Picture (this reviewer also links to an interview with the author)

The Lick and Sniff Reviews



Readers who enjoy novels in poem form may also enjoy Sold, The Braid, and A Bad Boy Can be Good for Girl

Also, something about the woods and the friendship between Jack and Lucy really reminded me of Ronia: the Robbers Daughter .




One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke



In one of this year's Printz honorees, Lily hopes that her entire family will be able to get along and share one "whole and perfect day" despite all their differences; through a series of coincidences, this day is more than anyone could have imagined.



Other blog reviews:

Liv's Book Reviews, In the Pages, The Goddess of YA Literature



Readers might also enjoy:

Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (and her new book is finally coming out here in August!)

Feeling Sorry for Celia and The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty






Spell Book of Listen Taylor by Jaclyn Moriarty



A story of family secrets, espionage, and magic, The Spell Book of Listen Taylor is completely unique. I do agree with many of the other bloggers that this title might be better suited to adults, not because it is inappropriate for teens, but because the main characters are closer to middle-age.



Other reviews:

Bookshelves of Doom, Roger Sutton's review from the NY Times, Interactivereader



Readers might also enjoy:

This book is so original that I have absolutely no idea... feel free to leave suggestions in the comments!




The Red Shoe by Ursula Dubosarsky



The story of three sisters growing up in Australia in the period immediately following WWII, a time when the fear of communism was rampant, and a polio outbreak was sweeping the country.



Other reviews:

Lowly's Book Reviews



Readers might also enjoy:

The Loud Silence of Francine Green (same time period, but here in the US)




Notes from the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell (ummm... I think I read this one last summer, but somehow I never blogged about it)



Gem, a film buff, plans to spend the summer after her final year of high school making a film with her two best friends.



Other blog reviews:

Pages Et Cetera, Chasing Ray



Readers might also enjoy:

novels by Melina Marchetta and Nick Earls (see links above).

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

AGREE!!! AGREE!!

Two words: Markus Zusak.

Nick Earls is made of awesome as well. Some good stuff -- it's teaching me to approach my own writing a little less conventionally.

Only, it's hot there.
And there are tons of poisonous things. But I'm down with Ozlit. Way down.

Sara said...

Oh yes, of course I adore Zusak. He just doesn't write fast enough. But then, none of my favorite authors do. (For some reason, it takes them longer to write the books than it takes me to read them. No idea why.)

And maybe it's not so hot during the winter? Though I'm a bit worried about the poisonous things.

The worst part though, is that every author I just mentioned has several other books, some of which are only available in Oz.

Post a Comment