Round Up #2 -- Books that make me feel old

| |
*note: due to the library being crazy-busy every Monday... I've moved my round-up post to Tuesday. This is the second in my series of catch-up round-up posts, this one on middle grade novels.

During the summer, we have groups come to the library for tours/booktalks from nearby elementary schools (a sort of school/camp arrangement), and so I've been reading middle grade novels to prepare for this. What happens is (supposedly) is that we get a group of about 30 students, split the group in half, and half of them get a 15 minute booktalk while the others get a fifteen minute tour, and then they switch. So, I came to work this morning prepared to do two 15 minute booktalks.

So, around 9:30, the school bus pulls up, the students file off the bus, and the teacher asks, "So, what activity are they going to be doing today?" I start to explain about the tour and the booktalk, when she informs me that they've already had the tour. Last Week.

So, scrambling to find them something to do, we helped them look for books, signed them up for the summer reading program, and then I gave a 5-minute booktalk to the few that hadn't been there the week before. But, at least, now I'm more familiar with some MG series that I hadn't read before (and more prepared for next week!).



The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
The three Willoughby siblings, after reading classic children's books, plot to become orphans, while their parents are also plotting to get rid of them. (Nothing like Lowry's other books... which I loved... but I loved it nonetheless).

Other blog reviews:
Loree Griffin Burns (a life in Books), The Longstockings, Miss Erin, Kids Lit, Emily Reads, Tandem Insights, Sarah Miller

Readers might also enjoy:
The Series of Unfortunate Events



Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: Moving Day by Meg Cabot

Cabot's first novel for younger readers tells the story of Allie Finkle, a girl who loves rules and is devastated to find out that her family is moving to a new neighborhood.

Other Blog Reviews:
Literate Lives, Books for Kids, My Clean Book Reviews, Alphabet Garden, The Compulsive Reader

Readers might also enjoy:
RAMONA! (While Allie is much more mature than Ramona, they share a sense of spunk!)


Frindle by Andrew Clements

Nicholas Allen decides that a pen would be better called a "frindle", and before he can stop it, the word has taken on a life of its own.

Other blog reviews:
Shelf Check ;), KidsReads

Readers might also enjoy:
Things Not Seen (while probably for a more mature audience than Frindle, Things Not Seen has that same Clements-ian though-provoking touch)


How to Train Your Dragon by Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III (as narrated to Cressida Cowell )Cover Image

Young Hiccup, son of a Viking chief has the unenviable task of catching and training a dragon, in order to become a full-fledged member of his clan.

Other blog reviews:
Nod to Nothing, Pink Me

Readers might also enjoy:
not sure... suggestions welcome in the comments! (I'd recommend Dragonology... but I haven't actually read it, so it doesn't count)

0 comments:

Post a Comment