Triple Feature -- E. Lockhart

| |
For the record, let me just state that E. Lockhart is brilliant -- absolutely brilliant!

1.A couple of weeks ago (before this cybils insanity started taking over my life), I read
Fly on the Wall, I loved it.

Gretchen Yee, a 16 year old student at a prestigous art school, makes the comment one day that she would like to be a fly on the wall of the boys locker room. When she wakes up the next morning, she finds that, well, she is. And so, for the next few days, she observes the boys, and she learns a lot both about them, and about herself.

It was cute and fun, and seriously, what girl wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall of the boys locker room and to find out what boys really think (okay, and maybe that's not the only reason). [On a side note, I think that's why I love John Green's books so much, because reading them is like seeing into the mind of a real live human boy.]

So, after reading it, I immediately had to put holds on The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book (which, luckily for me, was nominated for the cybils, so I had an excuse to read it).

2. Last weekend, I had started reading Rules of Survival (which I really should get back to, but I digress)... when I got a cold, and just couldn't read anything depressing... so I decided to read both of The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book back to back, figuring they would be light and fluffy... and well, to make a long story short, E. Lockhart has now been added to my list of favorite authors. (though both were more than just "fluffy")

In The Boyfriend List, we meet Ruby Oliver, a high school sophomore who has just started going to therapy. Her therapist asks her to make a list of all the boys in her life, past and present -- and through this list, Ruby tells us her story. She explains how she lost her boyfriend, and her best friends, all in a very short time.

Some of the best scenes in the entire book are between Ruby and her parents, as they try to figure out what's "wrong" with her -- I just couldn't help but laugh out loud!

3.
The Boy Book picks up a couple months after The Boyfriend List ends... with Ruby and the gang starting back to school. Ruby is still more or less a pariah at school, but she has made a few new friends (including Noel, who I personally think she should go out with, even if Nora has a crush on him too).

Each chapter starts with a passage from the "Boy Book" that Ruby and her friends made (back when they were friends)... and some of the advice is hilarious -- for example, one topic is "What to wear when you know you'll be fooling around" -- another deals with how to talk to boys on the phone (which I know can be a daunting task at times;) )

All I can say is... there better be a sequel!*

*E. Lockhart does have another book coming out in May 2007 -- and I'm sure it will be awesome -- but seriously... we need another Ruby Oliver book... please!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment