Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist -- The Movie

| |
http://images.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2008/10/03/nick/story.jpg


While I was in New York City last weekend, I dragged Matt to go see Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.  Obviously, it's one of my favorite books,  so I was really looking forward to the movie. 

The movie was everything it needed to be.  It was enjoyable, humorous, and cute (there was one moment when the entire theater full of teenage girls actually squealed).  It was true to the spirit of the book, even if the plot went off in some weird directions, but still completely entertaining to those who hadn't read it. 

The cast was wonderful -- Kat Dennings really became Norah (at least as I had imagined her), and while Michael Cera seems to play the same character in every movie, that character was still convincing as Nick.  The secondary characters were especially well-developed, although some of their backstories were never revealed (i.e. the relationship between Tris and Norah).

And yes, the plot deviated a bit, especially with the whole driving around looking for Caroline bit.  I think that because so much of the novel takes place in the characters' thoughts, a bit more action had to be added.  There was also one scene that I thought should have been included (Howard Johnson!).  

So, if you enjoyed the book -- I definitely recommend seeing the movie!

p.s. What was up with the gum? So not in the book. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment