Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

| |
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Let me just start by saying that I am absolutely, positively, head-over-heals, in love with this book.

Last weekend, a couple of friends and I took a little road trip, and I took it with me. I read for an hour or two on the road. Then, after going to bed at 3 in the morning, I actually woke up early Sunday morning to finish it by the light of my lightwedge (yes, I am a dork), while all my friends were still sleeping!

I normally return books to the library as soon as I'm finished reading them -- but this one is still sitting in my drawer in the back of the library as I type this.

Of course, I kept it out (supposedly), so I could share some quotes -- so I could share with you the brilliance of Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, but then I realized I would have to read it again -- which while enjoyable would kind of get in the way of all the reading I'm going to have to do for the Cybils

But I was just so impressed. So many books for teenagers have their protagonists falling in love for the first time, which really isn't that realistic when we're talking about 17 and 18 year olds, so I was surprised to read a novel where the main characters have been in relationships before, and where those previous relationships weren't completely horrible or completely wonderful, but complex and real, like human relationships. And really, that is what Cohn and Levithan did so well; they created living, breathing, imperfect characters.

And the best news of all -- they're collaborating on another novel, due out August of 2007!

Added later: I've noticed that many people are finding this post by searching for "Nick and Norah's Quotes" and other such things, so if that's what you're looking for, check out my later post with some of my favorite quotes.
Updated again (10/4/08): more quotes and some recommended reads

2 comments:

Little Willow said...

. . . so if I scream, "THE ABSOLUTION OF NICK!" in your general direction, will you shout back something in response?

If I could nominate SCENES of YA books for the Cybils, I'd nominate at least ten from that book.

Sara said...

Darn it... you're making me want to read it all over again!

And oh yes, such great scenes... I'm trying to pick my favorite -- maybe when the old people catch them by the ice machine;)

Post a Comment