I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

| |

A couple months ago, I was looking around in Borders, and I happened upon The Book Thief on a display. The cover intrigued me (and I sort of have this thing for books about books), so I went to work, and immediately put it on hold. Once I read it, I was absolutely convinced that
Markus Zusak was a genius, and had to start reading all of his other novels.


[Okay, and while this post was supposed to be about I am the Messenger and not about The Book Thief -- I have to take this moment to point out that the
Quills award committee had to be completely insane to choose Eldest instead.] (Thank you to Big A little a for alerting me to this travesty!)


But back on topic -- I am the Messenger is one of those incredibly good books that is really hard to describe. Basic premise is -- Ed Kennedy, an underage cab driver, helps stop a bank robbery, and he begins to receive playing cards in the mail with messages on them -- messages that lead him to help other people, and ultimately to help out his best friends.


I'm not sure it was quite as good as The Book Thief (but hey, if that means that Zusak is improving -- that's great!), but it was very, very, very good, and now I'm going to have to read everything else that Zusak has written. (darn list of books to read just keeps getting longer).

0 comments:

Post a Comment