New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

| |





First, I must second all of the other reviews I've read -- READ TWILIGHT FIRST! (This is very important)

I knew I was going to love this book as soon as I read the epitaph -- "These violent delights have violent ends / And in their triumph die,like fire and powder, / Which, as they kiss, consume." (Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene VI), as it is part of my favorite passage of Romeo and Juliet.

When I was a freshman in high school, we spent an entire 9 weeks studying Romeo and Juliet. At the time, I was 14, so I was just a little bit older than Juliet, and I thought the play so romantic and so tragic. The next time I read the play, I was a freshman in college, and at 18, it somehow didn't seem as romantic. I started to see Romeo and Juliet more as children, and I started to wonder, what would have happened if they hadn't killed themselves. Would they have matured together and lived happily ever after, or would their affections have died out as quickly as they began?

While this may be simplifying things a bit, in New Moon, Stephenie Meyer is exploring that same question, and while her answer isn't what mine would have been, (I personally think that the love between Romeo and Juliet would not have lasted), the novel was still thoroughly enjoyable. There's something about these books that makes them hard to put down once you've started reading, but I still can't quite put my finger on it. But I would definitely recommend this... just please, please, read Twilight first!

0 comments:

Post a Comment