| |

Lost in Austen by Emma Campbell Webster

Remember that Choose Your Own Adventure series that you read back in Elementary school?*

Lost in Austen is very similar to those books... but better! Instead of taking place in outer space, or during the revolutionary war, it takes place inside Jane Austen's novels. As the protagonist, you begin the adventure in Pride and Prejudice, but, depending on your choices, you may end up detouring into Emma or Persuasion or Northanger Abbey. Along the way, you can earn (or lose) points based on your choices.

Interestingly, the author is an Austen scholar, and at times in the novel, I felt that she was trying to prove a thesis about Jane Austen's work -- perhaps that courtship in Austen's time was a complicated game. But this did not detract from my enjoyment in any way (and I'm getting back into a student mindset, so that may have been part of it).

I would highly recommend to any Jane Austen fans (and you'll completely get it, even if you've only seen the movies!) And, while this is not a teen book, per se, I know there are plenty of teen readers who have devoured Austen's books and will thouroughly enjoy this (I know I would have!).

One quick warning -- about the points -- I realized this about halfway through, but I don't think you're supposed to go into negative numbers. So, if you get to zero, don't take off any more points. And if you manage to end up with 400 intelligence points at the end -- let me know (I honestly don't think this is possible)

*Or, like some of my co-workers, you may have read them when your children were in elementary school.

2 comments:

Jackie Parker said...

This sounds fun!

Litabell 2.0 said...

This is real cool. I love that you are talking about books. Great!

Post a Comment