| |

Dramarama by E. Lockhart


Confession: I am a bit of a musical theater geek.


Okay, that’s an understatement – I’ve known every word of Phantom of the Opera since I was ten. I read Les Miserables and Wicked so I could understand what was going on in the musicals. I wrote a paper on Vietnam and the bui-doi for my ninth-grade U.S. History class after listening to Miss Saigon.


And I loved E. Lockhart’s other three books, so I was really looking forward to Dramarama.


Sayde (formerly known as Sarah) and Demi (her best-friend) don’t quite fit in in their small Ohio town, so they are especially excited to be accepted into Wildewood, a musical theater summer camp. Demi is completely in his element, but Sayde… just can’t quite find her place.


I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the musical theater references (and I had “Popular” in my head the entire time), I liked the host of interesting characters, and there were scenes that made me laugh out loud.


But, to be completely honest, I didn’t like it quite as much as Lockhart’s other novel, though I’m having a hard time putting my finger on why. I think it had something to do with Sayde. Lockhart does a wonderful job with her characters and their development, but I just didn’t like Sayde as a person. She was whining and complaining too much, and she just needed to snap out of it. (Though the ending did redeem her a bit, but I don’t want to spoil that for you).


But don’t let my complaints stop you from picking this one up – it’s definitely a fun read (especially for any musical theater geeks*).


*And I’m curious… any non-musical theater types read this? Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Little Willow said...

La la, la-ah-ah la
You'll be popular!

I really enjoyed the novel. Musical theatre is my passion!!

I liked that Sayde had shades of grey and that the friendship wasn't picture perfect. (Spoiler!) The end showed her sacrifice a little something for him, even if they weren't as close as they used to be. I think she grew up in that moment, in that decision.

Sara said...

Yes, I agree about the ending...

but by that point, I was just a little too tired of her whining. But maybe I was just in a bad mood.

Jackie said...

Sometimes people go through bad spells and aren't likeable. I've been there. Heck, I probably WAS Sayde when I was in Guys & Dolls. I couldn't look past my own misery. I was 17. I've had a couple Demis in my life. You need them so much until you figure out that life goes on. It's a hard lesson to learn as a teen. I didn't get it until my early 20s. Sometimes, to preserve a relationship, or yourself, you just have to let it go.

I think that the lessons learned (in a non-didactic form) in Dramarama are far more important than in the Ruby Oliver books. Haven't read Fly on the Wall. But, clearly, I've got baggage in this area, so I'm sure I'm closer to the topics and thus, they speak more loudly to me.

And, wow, that all might be too much information... ;)

Sara said...

Yes, I think I've probably been a "Sayde" too... perhaps that's why I had a hard time reading her. I just kept wanting to shake her and tell her to get over it.

But that may be just me.

Post a Comment